new or 2nd hand?

Hmmm I was about to buy the ed80/heq5 mount (roughly £1200) new. But just been browsing the ads and theres a 2nd hand heq5 mount with a 150pl and various bits and bobs barlow lens etc for £700. its not the scope I want but I would still have enough left over for an ED80, what are your thoughts on 2nd hand mounts would it be worth it?

Provided they've been well cared for a second hand mount might be a bargain especially as you can then sell the bits you don't need and recoup soon of your outlay.

Spending that sort of money I would travel to inspect it first to see if it's as described and all in good working order.

Usually the equipment is well taken care of and the person is simply outgrading or the equipment has sat unused and they have decided to pass it on.

Always best to get to see it.

You can at least ask to see the mount working and slewing.

One aspect is if it goes wrong you are on your own.

Equally if you save £500 and in 2 months the handset plays up it does not cost £500 to get another.

I bought a used HEQ5 but it just had dual motors so no great problem.

Archived