Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

0.5 Focal reducer - Visual?.

Rob

I recall I had SOME success visually with my (photographic?0 ATIK 0.5x Focal reducer. It would e.g. reduce the "magnification" of an eyepiece by "some" (modest) amount when screwed onto the end of the nosepiece. It would reduce it more, when used to replace the negative lense on a budget 2x barlow. But, "local" to the eyepiece, I got the impression it would not "work wonders" visually i.e. one could not move outside the normal range of the scope re. vignetting, secondary shadows etc.

I believe there are VISUAL reducers that fit before the diagonal that do achieve this sort of thing... Probably someone will comment. My main experience is fiddling with a MAK127 - A "reduced" 32mm eyepiece, was like a "drunk looking through a drinking straw"... :mrgreen:

Not sure about these ones Rob, L'Missus picked up a 40mm plossl from Knight Owl and it's alright, on a par with the 40mm Meade 4000 I had. I picked up an Atik reducer which works fine in my Mak although I tried it in my C8N/Hyperions and it made everything look like it was in a goldfish bowl!

Tony..

Archived