Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Storing telescopes outside

I bought a scope cover and do leave mine out for a few days sometimes if the weather overcast looks good. However, I would be very wary of doing this if my scope could be seen by anyone passing by or if it was likely to be very windy or wet. I must admit that leaving it out makes life so much easier. Setup time becomes seconds rather than half an hour and therefore you do a lot more observing.

I had my 12"LX200GPS outside for quite a while. I used TeleGizmo cover. But underneath I used a strong garbage bag for additional protection. I sprayed the legs with silicon spray and wrapped them and other free, uncovered parts with wrapping foil. Nevertheless, I found little insects decomposed on the main mirror. These little black worms which appear when thunderstorms arising. They find their way everywhere, not only inside the telescope...

Archived