Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Last minute advice!

Hi all,

I'm off to New Zealand tomorrow, in part to visit friends but also to do some photography including the night sky.

I'm going to a couple of dark sky areas (mount cook being one) and was having a last minute panic that i have all that i need.

canon 6D and 50D

various lenses from 10mm (on the 50D only) up to 200mm. 

intervalometer and remote shooting lead.

tripods

batteries

memory cards

chargers

laptop to transfer images

I'm think I'm ok at how to shoot although never done it in anger in a dark sky reserve. Ideally I'd like to get some great widefiled shots of the milky way. given that i'm not tracking that's about all I can do really.

Any REALLY last minute advice or hints and tips?

Any good places people know of in the tekapo/mount cook and then south from there locations, to shoot from?

I'm also doing singapore for the day so if you've any good sites to visit that would be nice to know too.

thanks 

Mike

Just remember that New Zealand is Aotearoa, which translates to Land of the Long White Cloud. :eek: :eek: :eek:

There is a reason for that name.

If you are driving be very careful of turning right.

NZ has one strange traffic rule for that situation.

Thanks for the positive clear sky thoughts there Ronin!  :laugh:

What's the rule on turning right then? My friends didn't warn me about that!?

Thanks beamer. i decided to go with a sky map app. I've already set it up for the southern hemisphere.

Like i say I'm mostly going for Milky Way and i'm hoping i'll be able to see it with the naked eye too, for the first time ever.

Archived