NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hyperion Dew Control

Mav359

Hi guys

I have a set of hyperions and i love them, really pleased with them, however....... They can dew up quite a bit

I have started to make up my own dew straps and was using them at SGL-X and they were very effective except the eyepiece strap.  I had it around the main barrel of the eyepiece so the top of the strap was flush with the top of the rubber cup but there was a slight gap between the strap and the EP.

Has anyone got any Hyperions and is you are using a dew strap where are you placing them? i'm going to carry on having a play but was just interested on where you had yours.

Cheers

Hi Mav,

I have several Hyperions with home-made heaters.  They're simple, just a few 330 ohm, 1/2 watt resistors wired in parallel with 12 volts from a pulse width supply.  I have had good luck with them just around the barrel as you describe.  Are you still not able to keep the dew off?

Cheers

the problem with hyperions is were the ep glass is, its surrounded in rubber which is a good insulator. this obviously hinders heat transfer. it will work but will take longer to warm the optics

Cheers guys

In truth i haven't had a chance to get out let alone worry about the EP's dewing up.

Admittedly i havent left them for any length of time so maybe i just need to be more patient and let it warm up a bit more

Archived