Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is my mount failing?

Hi,

Well i noticed this the last couple of times when using my scope. When using the hand controller to point the scope the mount struggles to move and lets out a low whining sound. There has also been times that it has stopped working altogether, but other time when it works like normal.

Now i have check the powertank and that is all charged, i have also checked to make sure the scope is properly balanced on the mount, which it is.

I got the scope for christmas secondhand ,i believe the mount is a AZ GoTo Computerised Alt-Azimuth HD Go-To Mount. 

Does anyone know what is wrong? Is my mount dying on me?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give.

Adam

Have you tried a different power source? Maybe the tank is charged but it might be damaged through being run down too far too often. At least rule power out before looking at other stuff.

Is the mount like this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-az-goto-mount.html

When the telescope is on the mount, can you fairly easily move where the scope is pointing WITHOUT using the handset? If so, you may need to tighten up the two bolts, one on the altitude and one on the azimuth (have to remove a bar first) axes.

James

Have you tried a different power source? Maybe the tank is charged but it might be damaged through being run down too far too often. At least rule power out before looking at other stuff.

I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is the mount like this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-az-goto-mount.html

When the telescope is on the mount, can you fairly easily move where the scope is pointing WITHOUT using the handset? If so, you may need to tighten up the two bolts, one on the altitude and one on the azimuth (have to remove a bar first) axes.

James

Yes Thats the one....... I cant turn the mount left and right but i can move the scope up and down.

A) are you screwing the mount head tighly into the cup?

B) if you can turn the mount around quite easily, the azimuth axes is too lose. Take the mount head off the tripod. There is a bar underneath with two screws on, loosen one screw and remove the other to swing the bar out of the way, then tighten the nut under the bar, just snug, not overly tight. Replace the bar.

C) check the other nut in the gap behind the female part of the dovetail is also snug toght. Ry again.

James

I think you are going to have to take a look inside and check the tension of items and that gears, motors whatever move correctly. Not unknown for gears to not mesh right and also for grub screws to come loose and/or fall out. If they fall they fall into the mechanics.

Archived