Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New ASI120mc-s won't work with FC or Sharpcap, on USB 3 port..

Astroboffin

Well I have managed to get it to work, by using a very short USB 3.0 lead, a 50cm one, anything any longer and no good, so even though it is working still no use to me with such a short cable, no where near long enough to reach my laptop from the scope.

Got hold of two USB 3.0 cables today one short one and one the same length as the one supplied with the camera, and it will only work with the 50cm one, so,it is not the supplied cable that is at fault, as I was hoping it would be when I got it to work, it just doesn't like any cable over this 50cm length.......very strange

Regards

AB

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a step forward, at least.

My thoughts would now be that either there's some manufacturing fault with the camera that's causing the problem, or there's some issue with the laptop USB3 interface that means it won't work over longer cables.

Being able to test on another USB3 machine would be really helpful at this point, but I guess also testing with an externally-powered USB3 hub might also shed more light.

James

Just tested and will work on USB 2 over a 13m repeater cable perfectly, but will only work over 50cm cable with USB 3.......go figure

I'm not entirely surprised by that.  Whilst they look superficially the same, USB2 and USB3 connectors (and cables) are completely different.  USB3 cables have an additional two pairs of conductors for the data signals that just get ignored if one end or the other doesn't support them and the device falls back to USB2.

James

Well a mate of mine came round today and bought his HP i3 laptop, so I said while you are here do you mind if I try something on your laptop?, so loaded driver and latest sharpcap software, and guess what the camera all works as it should, with the supplied cable, and it even worked on a 5m repeater cable too.......so it is my laptop after all, not producing enough power I guess from the USB 3.0 port.

So at least I now know the camera is ok.....

:)

AB

Archived