Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Time Imaging with my DSLR the M42 and M45

acharris77

Hi all, with the weather being clear last week my GCSE Astronomy class was able to go to a dark site and do some imaging for our coursework. So the lecturer was kind enough to let me use his Skywatcher 200mm Reflector to take the following two images with my DSLR.

I have stacked them yet, but this is just a little mess around I had to make my single image a bit better as on M42 there were a lot of light pollution and mistiness. The images might have a tint to them as a light pollution filter was used. The shots were 60 seconds on a HEQ5 Goto mount.

My first time imaging the M45 and I was quite happy with the spikes I got on the stars. They could have been better, but it was my first time using a DSLR. Enjoy.

16903850222_ab4cb3405b.jpg

16282712844_80df6efd82.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. No he didn't let us take flat frames. I am not sure, hoping to before the course ends.

I am looking to upgrade my current 130P OTA which I have on a Syncscan Alt-Az goto to the 130P DS. That allows for a DSLR to be connected and will enable me to do my own imaging with the DSLR.

Thanks again.

Archived