Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trouble with xD pitcure card

Hey kids.

After a short stint in the back garden last night with scope I was able to image M44 quite nicely. Got the scope set up okay, everything was going well, then the mist came in and covered up my #1 target M42, so I headed to clearer skies and found the beehive. Managed to get about 5 good shots and then the cloud took over.

Came inside to put my images on my laptop and every single image apart from the ones I took last night was able to copy over. My history with xD cards is terrible. Everytime I get some great shots (be it astro or normal) then the card screws them up when I try to load them up to a pc.

So today I decided that I would try and transfer them via an Epson Stylus DX4850 printer. The computer found the card and even showed the images, but when it came to copying them over.....(extreme frustration).......it gave up and the laptop restarted itself.

Has anyone here had similar problems with xD picture cards ?? I have had problems with both Olympus and Toshiba cards in various types of camera. Why can't people make things that work!

Sorry, this isn't going to be much help. We have a Fuji xD card in my wifes camera, and it's never been a problem. How are you transferring ? Hooking up the camera or using a separate card reader ? If the camera it might be a problem with the USB port or power supply on the camera. The other thing is, I have had problems with some SD cards at first use if it wasn't formatted by the device in question, did you format the card ?

Just a thought - if you can see the images then they are on the card - have you checked that you hve not 'switched' the copy protect on the card on - there is a little slider on the side of the card I believe.

If you are cutting the pics or copying them this could be the problem.

I use both the built in 5in1 card reader on my laptop, 7in1 card reader which plugs into a USB port and also the PictBridge thing on the Epson printer. The problem spans across mulitple computers though.

I don't think I hve ever used a cable from the camera to the computer. And have formatted the cards. Maybe there's a ghost!

It sounds like it might be a card compatibility issue on the card readers. If the camera can display the images ok, then try connecting the camera to the computer with the cable that was supplied and see if you can transfer the images that way.

I had a similar episode with data cards a while back - they would read fine in the camera but not in the laptop.

After hours of chinrubbing, headscratching, ranting and other such technical wizardry, I looked in the card-reader slot and found the source of the aggro - a small hair, probably from our festrous cat, was wedged inside, preventing the contacts from, err, contacting.

Once the hair was removed, everything worked perfectly.

Archived