Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Samsung SBC-4000

Pan Euro

Hi,

My first post on this forum. I have read every post on here about video astronomy and i have a question about the suitability of the above camera for use in astronomy.

I'm aware that the sbc-2000 is a good choice but I'm wondering if the 4000 is also worth considering given that it uses a 1/2 chip? I'm still not entirely sure what to buy.

I given up using eye pieces as my wife wants to see the views as well and our focus needs are different, so video is the only way to go.

Many thanks,

Ed

Ed,

I thought about this same question before I bought my SCB-2000 about three years ago.

At that time the SCB-2000 was $99 and the SCB-4000 was $350.

The 1/2" sensor offers a 50% larger field (measured linearly) assuming the same optics. But the optics doesn't have to be the same. The smaller sensor permits a correspondingly stronger focal reduction. Stronger focal reduction can make the field of the smaller sensor as large as the field of the larger sensor with less reduction.

At the same time stronger focal reduction increases the brightness of the objects. You will be able to reduce exposure times or you can see fainter objects.

This argument, combined with the substantial price difference made me to buy the SCB-2000 and I have been happy with it.

There are also a couple of other advantages of the SCB-2000.

- More people use it and hence more peer support is available.

- I believe that the SCB-2000 uses a more recent second generation sensor that is more sensitive. I have not checked recently but off the top of my head I believe that the SCB-4000 uses an ICX_4xx SuperHAD (or ExmoreHAD?) sensor, while the SCB-2000 uses an ICX-6xx SuperHAD II sensor.

- For an extra $10 or so you can but a handset that controls the SCB-2000 remotely through the video cable. It is MUCH easier to use this handset as compared to pressing the little menu buttons on the camera. The SCB_4000 doesn't have this video cable remote capability.

If you buy the SCB-2000 make absolutely sure that you also get this remote. It makes a very big difference.

The above arguments were my reasons for deciding for the SCB-2000. Other people may know advantages of the SCB-4000 that I am not aware of. So don't take my input as the last word.

Clear Skies!

--Dom

Hello Ed,

I have the SCB-2000 and I must say I love that little camera but I have now just picked up the SCB-4000 also as I needed the 1/2" sensor for a new lens I've picked up.  If we get some clears skies soon I'll do some comparisons for you.

Best wishes

Karl

I can tell you first hand that the SCB 4000 will blitz the SCB 2000.

I have been using the 4000 for a few years and it is waayyyy more sensitive than the 2000 due to its Ex-View HAD Sensor. The 1/2" sensor is certainly great for a wider FOV too.

I bought mine back when it's model designation was SCC-A2333. Same camera, they just changed model name when they changed which Samsung factory they were being made in (long story  :rolleyes2:  ).

Have a look in my Gallery of SCB 4000 Screen Grabs using different telescopes and focal reducers: 

and check out my video using the 4000: 

I also made a video on how to get the crappy factory IR filter out of the 4000: 

Oh, and also if you want to make a hand controller for the 4000 I have done a tutorial on that too  :grin:

It's not too hard to do.

http://astrovideoforum.proboards.com/thread/640/samsung-a2333-remote-control-project

and if you want to go really crazy and do a Cooling project, here's my tutorial for that too:  :grin:

http://astrovideoforum.proboards.com/thread/637/peltier-cooling-samsung-4000-a2333

Hello Ed,

Just to let you know there are a few options to control the SCB-4000 but the best and most simple way is Coaxitron control.  Just like the SCB-2000 there is a little hand controller you can buy https://www.buythis.co.uk/pdf/5005.pdf  This is discontinued now so shop around and you may pick one up cheap.

Best regards

Karl

Yeah you may need to hang on a bit but one will pop up eventually I just picked one up for £40.  The SPC-300 does say it can control the A1 chipset series which is what the SCB-4000 is so it should be fine but compare specs and double check before buying anything.

Archived