Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO

OK,I'm looking to upgrade from my skywatcher 130 (900mm) version on the eq2 mount, I am torn between the skywatcher 150p on the eq 3-2 mount and the skywatcher 200p on the eq5 I mainly want to do planetary imaging with my webcam maybe deep sky if I decide to go that way so would like a scope that can work on both (if even possible) does anyone know what sort of scope I should consider for observing and planetary and Luna?

If I got the 150p I could get scope/mount/motor for £385 can you track with the 127p mount?Alt-Azimuth

Thanks for the reply! Just looking around for as many scopes I can find, try and get advice on the best one to get. When I got my 130 I had no idea about the complexity involved and just went for the cheapest biggest scope I could afford.

Roll on the 20th so I can see what I can buy aha

The 127 will track but it is in terms of visual observing not imaging. Wrong mount type.

OK,I'm looking to upgrade from my skywatcher 130 (900mm) version on the eq2 mount, I am torn between the skywatcher 150p on the eq 3-2 mount and the skywatcher 200p on the eq5

With regards the above bit from your post where does the Skymax 127 come into it all?

I would suggest the following.

Do not go scope hunting when you get the funds on the 20th. Half the reason for this is that the clocks change soon afterwards and the nights are lighter so you will get less use.

If you want to go planetary imaging then be very sure of this - there are not many planets to image and they re not around all the time. And an Alt/Az Mak/SCT is not transferable to DSO imaging.

In terms of scopes you have:

Planets = Mak/SCT. scope - Alt/Az mount will do.

DSO Imaging = Short fast scope - needs to be Equitorial mount

Visual = Large aperture scope - mount less important.

There is some overlap, but not a great deal, a Mak/SCT is OK for visual but have negative aspects for that. A big visual scope is not really suited to DSO imaging.

Said elsewhere that people seem to select a scope on the headline catching things they can do. If that is the one aspect you want then great. If however it is to be sort of dual purpose then it can easily fail.

My mind (warped) says that a 100mm ED refractor would do most of your bits. On an EQ mount it will allow DSO imaging, with a barlow 3x it will allow planetary imaging, fairly decent visual scope with good sharp views. It cannot beat the reflector on aperture, it cannot beat the Mak/SCT on magnification, not up to an apo triplet on DSO imaging. But as they do not excel at one thing they are not mentioned. However armed with one of those I could do/try all the main aspects of astronomy.

Where do you view from and what is the light pollution like, do you drive, member of any astro club (or intending to be).

@robin

I live in stoke on Trent, view from the back garden, there isn't much light pollution tbh a couple of orange street lights and not to many houses with lights on. I get the part about the planets not always being visible, I have been enjoying Jupiter at the moment.

DSO imaging is something I might find myself doing in the future but not right now, I like the observation side not just imaging, like you say planets aren't always around.

I don't drive unfortunately and am not a member of any clubs.

I would be happy just getting images of the moon until say Jupiter is ready to be seen and imaged.

Its hard job trying to pick one.

Archived