NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using a planisphere

I just bought my first planisphere. After spending any viewing time just looking at the moon and the different stars of Orion getting to know my telescope I thought it was time to find out what else I could be looking at.

There is instructions with the planisphere but I thought i'd look it up for more tips.

If anyone is the same as me and new to using the planisphere I would recomend this video...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbz3QnAbzFM

Planispheres are great, no batteries required. There was a tutorial video on You Tube where a large Phillip's planisphere about a metre in diameter was used; I would love to have one of those, but have not been able to find a source ? 

I've found the best way to use an atlas/planisphere is try and find something immediately recognizable and just orientate the planisphere/atlas as how it appears. Every time I try to do it the 'right way' it doesn't make any sense but if I see Orion's belt right above me I just rotate the sphere/atlas to match it and it works every time. 

I use my planisphere to find which bit of sky will be due south during the observing period (i.e. the hour of right ascension). Takes all of five seconds. Then I know which chart I'll be needing to use, and which objects on my target list I should plan on seeing. Simple because the NGC is ordered by right ascension. I have a number of eyepieces and other gear that I never use, but my planisphere remains a great investment.

Archived