eyepiece suggestion

jamie56

Hi all,

just got a new evostar 150, f/8 anyone got any ideas on the best eyepieces to use was thinking of some vixen lvw's, got a 22 lvw and its pretty cool, not sure of vixen or pentax, sizes also. Cheers guys,

jamie

with an f8 you don't need the high end eyepieces but certainly the pentax xw, vixen lvw and televue delos are all about the same performance. the delos at 72 degree are the most expensive the xw are almost or just as good depending on your eyes with 70 degrees but there's only a couple of quid in the price. the lvw are a real gem for the price only 65 degree but a fair bit cheaper and the views are not far off the delos and xw.  Had the lvw's ever come up 2nd hand I would have probably bought those instead of xw but nobody seems to sell them on probably an indication of how good they are for the price.

It is just worth pointing out Pentax XW have just had a price hike of about 10%, so are now the most expensive. Over here they have always been very expensive at 369 Euro and there is no telling if that will take the same jump.

Alan

I've used a number of the LVW's and they are very good eyepieces. I felt the 22mm was as good as the Tele Vue Panoptic 24mm with the exception of 3 degrees of field of view. I don't think they are quite in the same leaque as the Pentax XW's and Delos, but pretty close and you can buy them used for around £100 which is not possible with either the Delos or the XW.

If your scope is driven and you don't mind "standard" FoV eyepieces the Vixen SLV's are superb optically and only a bit more than £100 each when new.

Archived