Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Parallizer with premium focuser?

greglloyd

Just wondering if anyone uses a Howie Glatter Parallizer (or similar) with their premium focusers?

I've been reading around for reviews and threads on the topic but cannot work out if they mostly benefit people with stock focusers?

Is there any benefit in using one in the already excellent Moonlite focusers? Just curious really as I was mainly looking at the HG Collimator and stumbled upon this accessory.

The Moonlite has zero play with my eyepieces, but I find that the lower end of the Cheshire has just little bit of movement. Though I must say that the collimation results are generally very reliable when removing and reinserting the collimator. The main thing I find with the Moonlite 1.25" reducer is that as you tighten the compression ring it shifts the collimator (and I am not sure if it also shifts the Delos eyepieces as they are a very snug fit) ever so slightly to the right (since it has a thumbscrew on one side). Obviously the Parallizer might sort that out ensuring both the collimator and any eyepiece is absolutely dead centre. I'm just not sure if I am being too picky here. We are talking about very minute differences between the apparent alignment of different accessories.

The Moonlite ... shifts ... ever so slightly to the right. Obviously the Parallizer might sort that out.

Not necessarilly - it's designed to prevent tilt, not shift - the inventor specifically asserts that shift does not cause any problems.

. Obviously the Parallizer might sort that out ensuring both the collimator and any eyepiece is absolutely dead centre. I'm just not sure if I am being too picky here. We are talking about very minute differences between the apparent alignment of different accessories.

They may not be dead center but all of your 1.25 accessories will be pointing in exactly the same direction with no slop.   This is great for using 1.25 collimation tools in a 2" focuser.   I am quite pleased with mine in my moonlite although it is really a tight fit in the focuser tube.  I now find that I have gotten used to the tight fit and inserting and removing the parallizer seems a lot easier now then when I first got it.    Another advantage if you have 2" filters the parallizer has the depth so that you can use 1.25" eyepieces without worrying about the barrel of the eyepiece hitting the filter.  

I don't think you are being to picky, I find it to be a great accessory.

Eric

Archived