Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing spots in Dundee

SBN

Hello everyone, I am new here and wondering if any of you could suggest some nice dark spots for stargazing in 15-20 miles radius around Dundee City center? I haven't been in Dundee for long and keep trying to drive out to countryside at night but always end up near private areas or small roads with no parking :( I like to be in an open place perhaps a park away from light pollution, providing it doesn't have a gate that is shut at night. So I can park and get my telescope out. Any suggestion will be much appreciated!

I haven't been there personally to try looking at the stars, but the closest places would be Camperdown Park or Templeton woods.  But they may be too close for LP.

You could head out to Monikie or Crombie parks, off to the West of the city.  They would be further from the light pollution at least.  Again, I haven't been to either to try yet.  But we do go walking around Crombie reasonably regular, and you should be able to get to the car parks before the gate easy enough.  These would probably be you best bet within a reasonable distance.  I would imagine, to get further from LP, you would have to drive up Glenisla, north of Alyth / Kirriemuir.  I could easily imagine there being some really dark spots up there.

I haven't really been anywhere other than my garden so far, but the first place I will try is just north of my village (Just outside Arbroath), but if that isn't good enough, I'd try Crombie.

• 1 year later...

A few members of the Dundee Astronomical Society are known to frequent Carrot Hill north of Broughty Ferry.

Ken Kennedy who will be honoured by the BAA for his contribution to Astronomy in September uses the site and if it's good enough for him it should be ok for you.

Regards

Tony (DAS Webmaster)

• 2 months later...

Archived