Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Actual Sizes of AstroZap Dew Shields - anyone know?

Hello everyone.  I want an Astrozap flexible dew shield to use as an extension to the dew shield on my telescope.  The diameter of the existing sliding dew shield is 19.7cm and its circumference measures 63cm.

I did exchange emails with Martin at FLO to establish which one would suit my purposes, but it seems it is uncertain which one would suit and it isn't possible to open any of the stock to measure them.

I'm tried using google to attempt to find the actual dimensions of the various Astrozap shields (rather than which scope they were made for)  but drew a blank.  Does anyone know where I can find the actual sizes, or if you happen to have one the size I need, could you be so kind as to let me know so that I can order  a new one please?

I have made many dew shields myself over the years, but I actually want an Astrozap version this time rather than one made from a camping mat or other material.

Many thanks, Paul

Hi Paul, I have the 11" heated Astrozap for my CPC 1100 - its hard to measure (being flexible) but I keep mine closed and set so I can just slip it over the corrector end of the scope - I've measured the diameter which I have averaged out - as said its hard to measure accurately as there is a little flexibility with the velcro attachments to close and secure, one way across the diameter measures 315mm - but there is a little "adjustment" due to the width of the velcro fastening, it leaves a 10mm "gap" on the overlap - so you could close it a little more.

The closure has a 50mm velcro "band" on both ends of the shield so there is a certain amount of movement on the 315mm.

Hope that helps Paul.

Paul. 

Hi Paul.  Many thanks for your response.  By the sound of it, your 11 inch version is rather too large for mine which only has a diameter of 197mm compared with your own which is 315mm.  It does give me an upper limit though so thank you very much. Regards, Paul

Hi Paul, In the past my company made most of the flexible Dew shields for BCF and others, and I still have all the measurements for most sizes. If you send me your phone number I will give you a call in the evening, Kind regards John. john@ the-longs.co.uk

Archived