Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bresser 8x56 bins from liddl

I saw these things in Liddl for 80 quid and thought, no way too dear. Approx 30Min's later went back in and bought them!

After I got home I googled and a number of people had panned them probably a bit unfairly as it happens so here goes!

I've used them for a few months now in both both day and night conditions so I've gained a better perspective to review them than a quick look through liddl's window!

The first thing you notice is the size, in a word BIG! They are also quite heavy so not ideal for everyone. The weight however is very well balanced and I find them easy to hold for extended periods. 8x means the view is not too wobbly and the field is larger. The field is narrower then on many bins these days but it Leeds to far fewer edge aberrations than in most of those bins.

Exit pupil is 7mm as expected and build quality is much better than the famous 10x50's from bresser. Also coatings are in a different class from those bins. Colour correction is perfect and light transmition is very high. There is virtually no light scattering in these bins , which from my site means they are good as there is plenty of stray light around!

I have seen things in these bins that I have never seen from this site so I am very happy with them.

In short,

Pros: Optically and mechanically good cons: Heavy!

Water proof

Perfect size for astronomy

Cheap

They are well worth the money (and the social stigma) as long you dont mind the smallish field and Inevitable long eyerelief (I seem to be the only person who does not like long eye relief these days).

Compared to other 80 pound bins they compare favourably for astro use :rolleyes:. Possibly a bit big for general use though?

Luke

Archived