NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar observing with dobsonians

astrolunartick

Ive heard alot of people claim that observing the sun with large apertures (8 inches and above) is a bad idea. Ive been doing it for about 5 years and haven't had any problems

I used to use a 4.5 inch newtonian on an EQ1 mount with Baader solar filter. and when i upgraded to a 10 inch Dobsonian. The difference was fantastic. I could make out surface granulation and much more detail in the sun spots them selves. I purchased a Baader continuum filter which does bring out more surface granulation but the effect is subtle. heres a video of a session.

post-5432-0-52576700-1424518637_thumb.jp

Nice one, Peter, good to show that the conventional choices are not the only route.

What a very spotty sun that was. Unlike yesterday's!

For me the "general wisdom" is often a good starting point but should not always be taken 100%. Like we often say or hear that a mono camera is best for solar h-alpha. Which it is, but there are some pretty fab DSLR shots around too, and to be factored in is cost, what gear you have, or what other uses your gear has for you.

You often see folks on here getting a great result using gear they were told was not up to the job. Personally the frac is my preferred type for solar, partly because I can use a Herschel wedge and Daystar Quark (for h-alpha) with it. I often don't get the most out of my 120mm scope for imaging, so don't feel a huge need for more aperture, as I slightly favour imaging over visual. For visual I find you can push things more than for imaging.

Great observations, Peter!

I sometimes use my 10" f/5 truss tube dobsonian (with covered truss) for solar observations too (with Baader Astrosolar filter). Compared with the 5" MAK with the same film filter, the 10" shows more details of the sunspots.

Clear skies!

Achim

Archived