Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Feb. 18, 2015: Some nice proms and filaments during lunch

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Had a nice look at the sun through the solar scope again during lunchtime. The tail end of the big filament seemed to be visible (only just) and several other filaments criss-crossed the disk. Just north of the "Tail of the Dragon" a fairly bright prom could be seen on the western limb. Much further north a large, if faint prom was visible, showing a vast network of fine filamentous structures. A much smaller, but higher surface brightness prom stood out on the north-eastern limb. Several plage areas showed up, but I could not make out any sunspots.

I experimented quite extensively with the different combinations of blocking filters, H-alpha filter and ERF, and find that the B1200 ERF combination is better visually than the BF5 (which works best visually with no extra filters, but needs an H-alpha filter in imaging). 

Thanks interesting wanted to see but clouded over before I could get home !Caught tail end of the filaprom yesterday was wondering if the substantial tail might form a tall filament prom it would appear this is only a small prom from looking at halpha.nso.edu.

Archived