Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power Supply

HI,

I have had some power supply issues and I was wondering what power supply you use and how you connect everything together.

The power supply to the observatory has been installed by a professional electrician. I now have a sub panel with 8 sockets all attached to the same earth. The earth is a new earth fitted close to the observatory and has nothing to do with the house one.

I need to power the following:

1 Mount fitted with the Gemini 1

1 Imaging Camera

1 Guiding camera

1 Usb powered hub

3 Dew bands

1 Robofocus

What would be the best way to power the lot?

Thank you for your help.

Vince

HI,

I have had some power supply issues and I was wondering what power supply you use and how you connect everything together.

The power supply to the observatory has been installed by a professional electrician. I now have a sub panel with 8 sockets all attached to the same earth. The earth is a new earth fitted close to the observatory and has nothing to do with the house one.

I need to power the following:

1 Mount fitted with the Gemini 1

1 Imaging Camera

1 Guiding camera

1 Usb powered hub

3 Dew bands

1 Robofocus

What would be the best way to power the lot?

Thank you for your help.

Vince

Hi,

I would also do as Per says, with one addition, possibly, that is to separate the imaging and guiding ccds etc., from the dew heater supply. The dew heaters coming on and off can produce a strong voltage drop that can affect the ccds. It all depends upon the wiring lengths to the instruments and ccd electronics.

Definitely use a battery in parallel with each supply. i.e. two supplies, two batteries!

Batteries act as supply reservoirs, in case of brownouts or blackouts and spike suppressants to some extent.

Regards,

Derek

Archived