Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WO Zenithstar ZS71 ED vs Altair Astro Starwave 70 ED

Levster

I've decided to go with the Altair Lightwave 72ED-R and it's now on order. My next challenge is to find a decent yet affordable mount! In the meantime I'm going to try imaging with my Polarie Vixen and see how it goes. The weight of the scope plus camera is likely to max out the tracker but I may as well give it a go!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've decided to go with the Altair Lightwave 72ED-R and it's now on order. My next challenge is to find a decent yet affordable mount! In the meantime I'm going to try imaging with my Polarie Vixen and see how it goes. The weight of the scope plus camera is likely to max out the tracker but I may as well give it a go!

Nice choice! Hope you enjoy the scope. I know nothing about the Polarie but, if you can use it on your current set up for a while, I would take the time to save up for a decent mount while you cut your teeth imaging. I bought the minimum I could get away with (the EQ3-2) but should have been more patient and saved for at least the HEQ5, so I could be getting on with guiding and getting better pictures. It is an expensive outlay to start with, but a decent mount will future proof you to some extent, even if it looks like overkill on a smaller scope. Most people on here will tell you that the mount is the most important part of your imaging set-up, so you should never cut corners wen chosing one.

But, most importantly, have fun!

At the moment I'm looking towards either the EQ3 Pro or EQ5 Pro, I can't stretch to the HEQ5 just yet.

EQ5 will be fine with an ED 80 / 150PDS with all the imaging gear. The trick with all the hobby AP gear is to know the limitations /weaknesses and try and avoid them the best you can other wise we should all be looking to buy 10 Micron, ASA and all the other mega £s mounts which in most of our cases is neither necessary nor possible. Imagine  if our other half went and spent the best of £10000.00 on a pair of shoes or a handbag.

A.G

• 2 months later...

I am now currently looking at the options for 70mm "APO" imaging refractors, so

thought I might resurrect this thread as being the close to my topic of interest. :)

As a Video Astronomer, my requirements are maybe a little less stringent than

"classical" imagers! Small (8mm diag) chip, no autoguiding and the HEQ5 only

has to be steady for 10 seconds at a time (the internal camera stacking time). :p

But lightness of weight (It would fit on top of my other scopes!) and focal length

420mm or less ARE important for my needs. I was thinking W/O ZS71, but have

seen some slighly less than enthusiastic thoughts on these? I'm a tad confused

by the *various* different "wave" types / names among the Altair Astro offerings.

Perhaps I should look at the other offerings from Telescope Service (DE) too? ;)

It would be nice if the scope had a standard fit for typical electronic focussers.

But I've never used an APO / ED doublet / triplet etc., so don't have any feel...

Any further thoughts re. currently available (£350 to £800 market)? Although

aware of the typical *classical* imager budget, if *I* (a video astronomer) didn't

have to spend the absolute maximum, it would naturally be all to the good!  :D

Hi Chris

I have the Altair Astro 70ED - https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-70ed-f6-travel-refractor-telescope-with-2-crayford-focuser-finder-diagonal-eyepiece.html

I got the full set as I was looking for a portable scope for holidays as well, but think it is also available for £299 without all the gubbins like diagonals and finders.

I have never used anything else for AP (other than a 200p Dob, but that was just for shots of the moon, so no comparison really) so I can't really comment on the comparison with the WO or any other equivalent... but a few thoughts on it.

Its 420mm F/L so that works and does give some very nice widefield views - it does work well with the recommended Altair flattener, which is another £75, but you may well have something suitable already - even with the flattener, I sometimes feel the very edges of the image are slightly out of focus, but it is much better than it was before I had it!

It is light - think it is about 2-3Kg, and comes with a vixen style mounting shoe which was handy before I graduated to the school of "dovetail hell" and it can also be mounted on a normal photo tripod via the appropriate screw holes in the same shoe.

The 10:1 Crayford focusser (for me) was a revelation and I find it nice and easy to focus with and the focus tube can be locked via a single bolt underneath the tube. For the most part the focusser supports the flattener, T-Ring and DSLR quite well, and rarely slips without being locked, but obviously locking is better for being on the safe side. It is probably similar to other systems and it does slip slightly when you tighten it, so I usually focus, half-tight, readjust and then tighten the rest of the way very carefully! Don't know about auto-focussers though I am afraid.

I find the thumb screws on the focus tube tight to turn, but they do hold the flattener pretty well - I've never felt that they weren't secure. I do find it sensible to check though because of the tightness on the screw which can make you think it is as tight as it can be. Not a major issue, and it may just be my screws... or thumbs!

The dew shield slides nicely and seem to hold in place fine - the only time it has ever slipped was when I was resting my flowerpot flat box on it, which isn't really what it is designed for I guess! Never had any problems with dew, although I suspect things may change as I am heading into longer exposure AP and as we head into Autumn/Winter.

The camera end of the tube can also be rotated to help with framing shots, which I presume most scopes allow this option, and I guess it helps with framing without affecting focussing.

Doesn't come with mounting rings and it seems that the right size rings are impossible to come by (easily) so I just got some standard SW 80mm rings and padded them out with strips of cork, and that seems to hold it securely.

I'm still learning and very much an amateur, but have enjoyed using the 70ED and am sure there is more I can get out of it. While I WANT to upgrade (all the time) I don't think I NEED to for a while.

You can see some of my photos HERE - just ignore the moon and sun pictures - others were taken with the 70ED - actually ignore the Jupiter pic as well as it is terrible and I didn't really know what I was doing when I took it!

Think it is a great little scope!

Hi Mark,

Belated(!) thanks for your extensive and helpful reply. I had thought I would

have decided *which* small APO to buy by now, but still unsure what to do.

Every time I'm about to push the button, I come across a (CN?) thread that

implies my prospective scope is so *awful* it was "returned immediately"! :p

But then I often sense that could apply to most of my Astronomy gear. lol :D

Maybe I'll just keep my money in my pocket - Go on a nice (long) holiday...

The holiday sounds like a good idea!

I think the problem with a lot of "reviews" out there on the web are from people who have had a bad experience - people who are happy with their stuff are too busy enjoying it to write reviews about how good it is! :grin:

Good luck/enjoy the holiday - whichever way you go!

The latest upshot: I am now a HAPPY owner of an Altair Astro Lightwave 66-R.

(f/400mm) Bought directly from Altair Astro... and arrived the following day! 

Availability was a consideration. I also needed something light(er?) to ride atop

my 8" f/4 Newt. Initial impressions: I am *really* happy! Compared to my modest 

scopes the best terrestrial view yet? Of course, official first light still pending. :)

Gentle enough with my Baader Hyperions... Rumoured to be "best" at f/6 plus...

And super views! Caveat emptor, doubtless, but I'm one happy chappy here.  :p

Perhaps I'm easily pleased? lol. But a lot of the "Do not buy" fears alleviated! ;)

Do Not Buy? I thought my 70ED was nicely made - although my reference scope was a 200p Dob, so not a great comparison!  :grin:  I don' think I woudl have any problems ordering an AA scope again.

Hope you have fun with it!

Archived