NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Adding image captions (settings etc.)?

Macavity

Video Astronomy can produce (given modest seeing!) quite a LOT of images.

It's ever interesting to refer back to *settings* that actually produced them! :p

I'm undecided how to resolve the "captioning thing". Know what I mean, Eh?

I make determined (though vague) attempts at Logbooks. But still forget... :o

Write directly on images? Use "do it all" software to manage images online?

Add captioning "electronically"? But, "Over to you!" for some good ideas? :)

Hi Chris,

I assume you are using a capture device with some capture s/w. I am aware that Miloslick has caption capability, but maybe others do as well. Even though Miloslick is designed to control Mallincam cameras, the video control portion will work with any video cam. They have both Mac and Windows versions.

I use a Lodestar primarily with LL and always caption my captures. I know what you mean about collecting a lot of images. I have folders that place them in major categories and the captioning will list them by object name. Pretty basic, but I can usually find things. The caption also has the scope, date and exposure listed, so you have pretty much everything you need. Paul did a great job creating LL. Thought of everything to make our lives easier.

Hope this helps.

Don

Don,

Has v0.11 changed the file naming for you (I seem to recall you are using Windows)?

On the Mac there appears to be a change in how things are named/dialog box for 

saving files, and not for the better, unfortunately....  :embarassed:

Cheers,

- Greg A

Don,

Has v0.11 changed the file naming for you (I seem to recall you are using Windows)?

On the Mac there appears to be a change in how things are named/dialog box for 

saving files, and not for the better, unfortunately....  :embarassed:

Cheers,

- Greg A

No Greg, I use a Mac. Files are listed alphabetically by target name. You can also arrange by date created, but that's a computer thing. I didn't notice a difference between v0.10 and 0.11.

Don

No Greg, I use a Mac. Files are listed alphabetically by target name. You can also arrange by date created, but that's a computer thing. I didn't notice a difference between v0.10 and 0.11.

Don

Hm... strange.  What version of OS X are you running, Don?  I'm on 10.9.2, and when I go to save an image in v0.10, I get a 

non-standard save dialog box; v0.11 gives me a standard OS X dialog, but it doesn't seem to give me the option to auto name 

the file the way v0.10 did.

- Greg A

Hm... strange. What version of OS X are you running, Don? I'm on 10.9.2, and when I go to save an image in v0.10, I get a

non-standard save dialog box; v0.11 gives me a standard OS X dialog, but it doesn't seem to give me the option to auto name

the file the way v0.10 did.

- Greg A

Hi Greg,

I have 10.8.5. I just checked the save for both 0.10 and 0.11 and the box is different, but both give the same file name and can be changed and directed to any folder. The default file name is the target followed by the date. I guess I didn't know the difference because I always save it under the default file name. Not sure what you mean by auto name.

Perhaps you should start a new thread on this so Paul can address your questions. We seem to be hijacking Chris's thread.

Don

For the Lodestar camera both SX and LL s/w include date/time and LL object name/scope/f/ratio etc IF added in script before save. 

For SX for some years I import into PaintShopPro to tweak/title in format "object/date/scope/exposure" - without such info the [obcure] objects are just a wasted time if you value your work. :police:

Archived