NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ghosting in eye piece

Hi SGL members,

Wondered if this has ever happened to any other members?  I was out viewing last night and noticed a ghosting on the eye piece glass (using Pentax XW 14 mm), this ghosting (for the use of a better word) appeared in the lower left of the eye piece.  This was affecting my enjoyment of trying to find some objects from my viewing list, mainly faint objects.  When I covered the eye piece with my hands the ghosting disappeared!  My best bet is the light from the hand controller was reflexing off of my eye and into the eye piece and the ghosting would appear.  Has anyother member had this problem before?  Could always cover the hand controller when not in use is a possible answer.

Peter

I had an odd little reflection zipping about with my Radian 6mm while observing Jupiter the other night. A pinpoint of light moving about like a small firefly. Seemed to change its course as I moved my head... I'll try blocking the ep with my hand or cover next time and see if it occurs...no idea yet what the source was, unless in some way it was Jupiter itself?

When viewing a bright object like Jupiter you can get a reflection back off the surface of your eye which is in turn reflected in the top surface of the eye lens of the eyepiece.

Thank you John :)

Right, off to B&Q for some matt black paint for soft surfaces!

I anticipate nil reflection is achievable.....er....

Might reduce my aperture tho :D

Thank you John :)

Right, off to B&Q for some matt black paint for soft surfaces!

I anticipate nil reflection is achievable.....er....

Might reduce my aperture tho :D

Steady now !!! :shocked:

Youv'e got the wrong user name for this thread too :p:smiley:

Archived