SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium v12.4 update to v13.2 problem

Tommohawk

Hi all Having a nightmare with Stellarium, and hoping someone can put me straight. In an effort to align Jupiters GRS position, I fiddled with the systemini file as per the thread found here on SGL. After a while, I wasnt sure if I'd deleted a couple of characters, and having follishly nt kep a copy of the ini file, I thought the best thing was to simply update to latest version. I downloaded 13.2, and this also downloaded an MS C++ update, but then found Stellarium wont run. Although sometimes if I tell it toignore the problem it will start but is buggy. So, I though I'd do a Windows system restore, which took forever till I realised i had to disable antivirus software, and now back to v 12.4. But now I find that no stars show. If I do a find on a star, it seems to find it in the DB, but wont show it. So now in a right muddle. Ideally I would run with the new version, but I cant find any reference to the problem I have elsewhere. I tried uninstalling Stellarium before the new install but same problem. Help please!!

Edit: I alos have Stellarium scope installed v2013.08.09

If a clean re-install doesn't fix it, you can write a message here in the forums to Alex Wolfe. Alex is one of the creators and designers of Stellarium who often hangs out here answering questions and giving the latest news.

Look him up in Members and fire him off your problems.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Hey guys thanks for replies, and thanks for taking the time to post the ini file. Sorry bit slow to repsond - have moved on to a new problem!!

I did finally sort the issue - no amount of system restoring would get v12.4 to work properly - the stars wouldnt show. I found a couple of threads on this which involved deleteing the stallrium folder in user/appdata/roaming, but this didnt work for me.

I was keen to try and get to the new version because I didnt want to lose compatibility with StellariumScope ASCOM EQMOD etc by hanging on to an old version. However, there are definitely issues with my hardware setup with v13.2. Its all a bit flakey, but occasionally I got a message about OpenGL compatibility. There is a thread on this here - v13.2 needs OpenGL support at v2.1 or higher to render the graphics.

However, the OpenGL extensions viewer I downloaded says my system does have this support, so something wrong somewhere.

I tried uninstalling v12.4, but this in itself caused problems. I uninstalled Stelariumscope first, as this was an add-on, and then windows wouldnt uninstall Stellarium. Anyhow, I fixed it by restoring to before all the problems, and then downloading the old v12.4 installer and reinstalling.  Sorted.... or so I thought.

I checked Stellarium scope still worked indoors in the warm last night before going out, and all good...... except that now PHD2 doesnt work. OMG.

New post.......

PS. I wonder if the problem with the new version occurs if it isnt a clean install?? Difficult to tell, as I couldnt fully uninstall the early version.

Hi Alex

OK thanks for that - and for all the input into Stelllarium. Its a fabulous piece of software.

However - I think 12.5 is only 32bit, and I'm 64bit.

Do you have any thoughts on the OpenGL issue - I seem to have 2.1, but it wont run. Any ideas?

Hi Alex

OK thanks for that - and for all the input into Stelllarium. Its a fabulous piece of software.

However - I think 12.5 is only 32bit, and I'm 64bit.

Do you have any thoughts on the OpenGL issue - I seem to have 2.1, but it wont run. Any ideas?

32 bit will work too.

The opengl issue seems deeper than Stellerium to me.

Do other openGL programs work ok?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived