NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Disappointing session...

Freedom2099

Yesterday I had the most disappointing session ever... despite being a perfect night (good seeing and transparency, no clouds at all and quite warm) I pretty much missed all my targets!

I tried to find M95, M96 and M105 (3 galaxies close to each-other in Leo)... but failed! I'm quite sure I was searching in the correct area though!

Tried M67 (Cancer) but only manage to find M44!

Finally tried for M97 and M108 in Ursa Major... failed again!

I'm so disappointed :( never happend to miss so many targets! I'll try again this evening hoping for more luck! 

P.S. : I manage to see both Venus an Mars though!

Aye, I'm sorry to hear this, Freedom but it is often the nature of the game  :smiley:  There's often the excitement, the anticipation and then for some reason or other, disappointment. In one way or another, we're all in the learning zone, so I'm sure the next night out everything will come together and it will be fabulous :grin:.

At least you had good s&t to enjoy the other beauties of the galactic show! I spent *weeks* trying to find M13 when I first had a telescope ( the concept of starhopping was a lightbulb moment back then tho I'm still a real novice at that skill), and it was *very frustrating*, esp as everybody else seemed to find it eyes-shut!

But unsuccessfully searching for ol' Herc, extremely disappointing as it was at times, just left me (once I'd given up) the rest of the evening to wander the spaceways in mouth-agape wonder... :)

But perhaps I'm being too glib - I'm not really a list maker or follower. My apologies if the above sounds a bit 'so what' - it really *isn't* intended to :)

Edt/ Hey, Venus and Mars! Great stuff! I remember recently when I saw Venus, Mercury, Mars and Jupiter in one evening... and Uranus a couple of nights later. Knocked all my early frustrating searching for M13, Kemble's Cascade, M31 (!), Dumbbell Neb etc firmly into the basket labelled 'worth it'!

Some of the objects you "missed" can be quite elusive, what telescope were you using?    :smiley:

Celestron Astromaster 130... a newtonian reflector with 130mm of aperture and 650mm of focal length 

I now some are quite faint but considering that this summer with the same scope I manage to spot M57 (ring nebula) I thought they were within my reach!

Can't wait for my new Celestron Evolution 9 to be delivered!

At least you had good s&t to enjoy the other beauties of the galactic show! I spent *weeks* trying to find M13 when I first had a telescope ( the concept of starhopping was a lightbulb moment back then tho I'm still a real novice at that skill), and it was *very frustrating*, esp as everybody else seemed to find it eyes-shut!

But unsuccessfully searching for ol' Herc, extremely disappointing as it was at times, just left me (once I'd given up) the rest of the evening to wander the spaceways in mouth-agape wonder... :)

But perhaps I'm being too glib - I'm not really a list maker or follower. My apologies if the above sounds a bit 'so what' - it really *isn't* intended to :)

Edt/ Hey, Venus and Mars! Great stuff! I remember recently when I saw Venus, Mercury, Mars and Jupiter in one evening... and Uranus a couple of nights later. Knocked all my early frustrating searching for M13, Kemble's Cascade, M31 (!), Dumbbell Neb etc firmly into the basket labelled 'worth it'!

Usualy I plan my observation in advance making a list of what I want to see and studying the various objects (what they are, characteristics, etc.) to be prepared.

My first attempt with M13 was a matter of seconds... I just pointed the red dot finder where more or less M13 was supposed to be and, lucky me, when I looked into the eyepiece was already in the FOV! 

My first attempt with M13 was a matter of seconds... I just pointed the red dot finder where more or less M13 was supposed to be and, lucky me, when I looked into the eyepiece was already in the FOV!

Wow, just shows....took me *ages*. Mind you, from my location the square of Hercules is mostly v.faint/ invisible most of the time.

M57's a cutie, eh? Small but perfect...

Good luck on your next night.... :)

Wow, just shows....took me *ages*. Mind you, from my location the square of Hercules is mostly v.faint/ invisible most of the time.

M57's a cutie, eh? Small but perfect...

Good luck on your next night.... :)

From my place the entire Hercules constellation is visible without problems! Loved M57... was one of my first targets and took me 1h to get! Guess I'm less used than before to spend a lot of time searching for somethin (recently I got quit good in finding stuff).

Thx!

Depending on your local LP galaxies can be difficult to spot. 5" should be enough to show them under most conditions but they will only be very faint smudges. I assume you have already tried M31? Not in an ideal part of the sky now but it will give you an idea of just how tricky galaxies can be. What you have to realize when viewing M31 is that M31 is huge but you are often only get to see around the core (unless under very dark skies and a larger telescope). This just goes to show how faint the actual galaxy is so imagine what it's like trying to find one that is smaller and further away.

I think a major issue is managing the expectation. When I started astronomy I would read the usual magazines as I still do, but they often build unattainable expectations. Their big photos...taken by Hubble - we see a feint smudge. Then the articles telling you what to look for. Unless you have perfect conditions many are very difficult to see if not impossible. They mention being able to see Galaxy detail with big scopes etc etc. I have a 12 inch dob and I still struggle to see some of the promised targets and find much of the detail I am promised a let down. This doesn't put me off, but it has taken many years to know how to translate magazine articles and what they mean in practice. Eg. Feint means invisible etc.

I am a realist. Still love my hobby tho.

I no longer observe visually. I don't like having to bend like a contortionist to position my eye into a location not intended for anyone other than a gymnast. Most of the exciting visual objects are little more than smudges from my light polluted locations. Call me fat & lazy but the CCD does all the hard work now & at least I can moan about the weather in comfort & boy has the weather been awful in the last few weeks from where I live.

and in the end yesterday evening was cloudy :(

I no longer observe visually. I don't like having to bend like a contortionist to position my eye into a location not intended for anyone other than a gymnast. Most of the exciting visual objects are little more than smudges from my light polluted locations. Call me fat & lazy but the CCD does all the hard work now & at least I can moan about the weather in comfort & boy has the weather been awful in the last few weeks from where I live.

I'd love to try astophotography but for the moment is out of budget!

Archived