NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3-2 dual axis drive or SynScan

Hi Steve

See my reply to your other thread about backlash, but as regards the dual axis drive, I believe the DEC backlash in this mount out of the box makes the DEC motor unworkable.

i.e. if I move the DEC axis with the motor one direction then immediately reverse direction, then even at the 8X rate it takes over 40 seconds to take up the slack and start moving again due to DEC backlash.

I have no experience with the Synscan, maybe it has something clever like backlash compensation, or perhaps just a higher speed like 32X would help.

Regards

Richard

then even at the 8X rate it takes over 40 seconds to take up the slack

That sounds like something is faulty. I've had two EQ3's and a few EQ5 (DEC motor is the same on both) and it takes (all be it a very annoying) 3-5secs max to reverse direction with either motor. 40 secs sounds 10 times longer than normal and a possible fault.

either put a dual axis drive or the SynScan on it.

Synscan is a far superior. Ultra responsive, great GOTO accuracy, 800x slew and more besides. Lots of settings to play with, PEC, Backlash compensation, Autoguide port.

Regards

Russ

I recently put the dual axis drives on my EQ3-2. One of the joys of this mount for me was the lack of backlash. It takes no more than a few seconds to reverse direction with the motors. My only wish with the motors is that I would like a faster rate when moving at high speed.

Looks like my EQ3-2 (or perhaps the drive) is at fault then. I never thought to question that before. I only ever read that it was an inferior copy of the Vixen Super Polaris, and I just assumed the excessive backlash was part of the deal - just shows you the usefulness of forums I suppose!

Looks like I need to start taking things to bits. If I could fix this, then I would be happy because in all other respects it's a great lightweight mount. Synscan sounds very tempting too!

Cheers

Richard

Archived