NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Big Dob

I am looking for a big DOB around the 14 to 16" to be use for visual and planetary AP. I could do a bunch of research or I could ask you guys. I'm looking for a top notch one because I don't want to keep upgrading all the time. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Zac

What variety of Astro-Photography are you think of doing? For AP can likely require longish exposures, and for such the mount will need to be able to track what you're shooting out there. So a Dobsonian may be the wrong approach. With video-AP,  you can rather get away with it - to a point.

Clear & Still Skies,

Dave

Buy a CPC around 9.25 of 11 inches.

They will do the planetary imaging very well and will also be a good visual scope.

A dobsonian does not cover both aspects as well, certainly the planetary imaging aspect will be significantly reduced.

Do you mean AP as in DSLR and long exposure or just as imaging in general ?

Planetary is most often via a video capture process.

Depends on your budget but I always wanted one of these with full Stellacat/Argo Navis tracking : http://www.obsessiontelescopes.com/

Or you could go for a 16" Lightbridge and pop it on a cheaper barn door tracker. Otherwise have a look at Skywatcher and Revelation dobs at the cheaper end of the market. Not a lot to go on but Hth :)

My 10" dob VS my 8" sct for planetary video imaging and the dob is best even tho I can only get 30 seconds of video. Add a Barlow to the F/5 dob and I have the magnification I need for the video. Take the Barlow off and I very much enjoy just looking threw it while imaging with the 8". I would upgrade the 8" but I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

Archived