NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dust inside my Canon 10x50 IS - problem?

ChrisD

I got a pair of the Canon 10x50 image stabilising binoculars a couple of weeks ago (LOVE them by the way). I bought them cheap from Amazon Warehouse so they're either a used or returned pair - they looked almost untouched. Today I've noticed a few specks of dust on the inside of the objective lenses. Do these bins often get a bit of dust inside over time or at manufacture? In short, should I worry? Can these be serviced and cleaned if necessary, and for how much?

Thanks!

Should not really have anything there but a few specs of dust will not effect the performance, the dust is at the wrong place to cause a problem - except for everytime you look at them.

Would have expected it to be either on the front or on the rear of the front lens surface (I assume there is a pair of lens in a cell).

If the front you should be able to clean it off easily.

If on the rear I have no idea if the lens cell comes out/off easily, likey it does but look carefully before using a crowbar. You should then be able to again clean the rear surface and reassemble. However I would expect the lens cell will have to be returned to a set position so that both sides are focussed at the same distance.

No idea on location but could check if there is anywhere that would clean them. Thinking here of a camera shot that advertises cleaning and reapairs.

I got a pair of the Canon 10x50 image stabilising binoculars a couple of weeks ago

Thanks!

Canon manufactures the 10x42 L IS binoculars today.

I have never heard of a Canon 10x50 IS bino.

Perhaps yours is a much older, discontinued model.

Dust is not usually something of concern.

Stan

Archived