Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which filters for Planetary Observing?

RobertI

I have quite a few but almost never use them - lighter colors work best unless you have boatloads of aperture.  Below about 8" the only ones that are really worth investing in are the lighter colors.  

A light yellow works well as a fringe killer and general contrast booster.  Light blue can work well for some of the planets and a light orange can work on Mars.  I bought most of mine cheap 2nd hand but the onloy ones that are ever used much are the neutral density filter for the mood and the light yellow as a fringe killer.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still mostly interested in the potential of the TeleVue planetary which supposedly provide more neutral but higher contrast views. I'm also red and green colour blind so colour filters may well make things somewhat worse!

Has anyone experience with the TeleVue?

I'm still mostly interested in the potential of the TeleVue planetary which supposedly provide more neutral but higher contrast views. I'm also red and green colour blind so colour filters may well make things somewhat worse!

Has anyone experience with the TeleVue?

There was a thread on it a while back:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/210990-televue-planetary-filter/

Archived