NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tracking comets

symesie04

Just a quickie, i would like to do some comet photography and track using a Astrotrac, however obviously the standard star tracking rate is no good. So that leaves either the lunar or solar tracking rates, any idea which is best suited to comets? 

I did see a post not that long go. saying he use a program to work out were is was going to be at a set time , set up in this place a set cam rolling just before the time it was coming past.

I am trying to say is from a program point A to point B take so long you can work out speed.

Interesting cheers gents. Cant say ive attempted to giude the astrotrac yet or anything else for that matter. And have no idea if it even supports EQMOD. Will have to have a Google. In the meantime short subs it is although at 400mm im not sure that will work either.

For comets against a static star background I used to use shortish exposures if it was in close and moving a bit  and then do separate comet  and star stacks in DSS...  

I used to  guide on the comets core to produce movies of the comet moving against the background stars if it was passing something of "interest"... 

EQMOD isn't an option for the Astrotrac...

Peter...

Archived