NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello ! Need some help picking out my first pair of binoculars ?

Hi ! What a nice place. Found it on google. 

Well, the reason I am here is because I am looking for some astronomy binoculars.

I am planning to handhold/tripod it, and live in a very dark suburban. 

Looking to spend 120-170$ ....

My options are:

1. 150$ Oberwerk 15x70 FMC 

2. Redfield Renegade 10x50 FMC

3. Orion Astronomy 15x70 Who knows if it's Fully multicoated... They say it is.

I don't know, I'd really like to have a x70, just so that people don't ask me what birds I am looking at with my 10x50 :)

Out of these 3, which one would you recommend ?

Is there a good x70 or x80 option I am missing at this price range ? 

Hi Dino'. and welcome to the forum, you may find this link useful in helping you to choose binos.

http://www.binocularsky.com

Steve Tonkin  who created/runs the site tends to be looked upon as the stargazerslounge "expert" on  binos although in modesty I'm sure he would prefer not to be called that!

Oberwerks are not directly available (I think) in the UK and Orion have only a few suppliers here, and I'm not familiar with the Redfields - but you might find that the binos you mention will be re-badged versions of binoculars produced by the same factory in China, probably United Optics (Kunming) whose range is large. Depending on which series they stem from, and the the equivalent price, the quality will go from average to good to excellent. The Oberwerk 15x70s I think are BA1s and will be similar to the Celestron Skymaster 15x70s. By comparison the Oberwerk Ultra 15x70 are United Optics BA8s and are considerably more expensive but of much higher quality.

The 10x70s will give you a 7mm exit pupil (70/10) as opposed to a 4.66 exit pupil (70/15). The larger EP may be useful IF you have good dark skies and your pupil will dilate to 7mm (usually age related), otherwise I'd go for the 15x70s.

Great link ! Bookmarked ! 

I see the recommendations, but I can't find them in Israel :( :( 

The Oberwerk dealer ships here, so I have that option, I found some Redfields and Nikons also... 

After reading his recommendations I would like to cross off Orion Astronomy :) 

Awww, so basically there are no good "long term purchases" under 200$ ey....  I hear so many problems with the Orions and Celestrons, 1 of 3 goes back to the store, the rest  are binned after a couple bumps. 

But now you say the cheaper Oberweks are the same.

I can't speak from experience, but I believe so much comes down to quality control. At the cheaper end of things, shamefully, some suppliers tend to leave the quality control to the customer - hence the number of returns. However, I think I've read somewhere (probably on the "cloudynights" forum) that Oberwerk seem to be better in this respect.  

Archived