Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just to drop a line as I observed Lovejoy yesterday!

I recomend SkySafari Pro for iPad, without it i'd never find it!!!!

It's an amazing site!!!!! Hope all of you get it!!! According to SkySafari Love joy will be at 4.9 mag next friday 9th january!

One thing i'm curious about is when will it be visible again, idk the technical term for that ;)))

Jazzmatazz,

Good evening.  According to the source of all knowledge in the universe, Wikipedia, Lovejoy has an inbound periodicity of 11,000 years, and an outbound periodicity of 8,000 years.  I don't know for sure if one should add them up and say it will be back in 19,000 years, but I am willing to bet that regardless if it will be 8,000 or 11,000 years, neither you nor I will be here to appreciate the view.  :-)

P.S. Maybe you (or some other kind soul) can answer my question.  I have been following Lovejoy through the skies, and it seems to have grown perceptibly dimmer over the past few days.  Is it being washed out by the moon?

P.S. Maybe you (or some other kind soul) can answer my question.  I have been following Lovejoy through the skies, and it seems to have grown perceptibly dimmer over the past few days.  Is it being washed out by the moon?

I'm not sure but I think It's the moon!

It's meant to be about 5th magnitude now. It should reach greatest brilliance around the middle of January, but should stay quite bright into February.
Lot's more to enjoy (clouds permitting!) yet.

Archived