finder lens

Hi, I bought a Kosmos Astro-telescope 60/700 for my grandson for Christmas

It was the last one in the shop and had been used as a demonstration model. It now seems that the 'finder lens' is missing. This might not be the proper name for it as the instructions booklet is in German- ( I live in Germany and the UK)  in German the missing part is called a 'sucherfernrohr'. According to the illustration it looks like a small telescope attached to the side of the telescope proper. There is a holder attached. I think the missing part is to help you locate an object before aiming the telescope at it.

As you can see from this note- I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about- so any help would be appreciated-

Does anyone know the proper English name for the missing part and does anyone know where I can get one- I have trawled the Kosmos and other websites all to no avail.

Thanks for any assistance- my Grandson is itching to get started- he is already a real stargazer.

regards

janetm

Yes, known as a 'Finderscope', your model of refractor should have a 5x24 finderscope, which may be a little hard to find, another consideration is the 'shoe' that it fits in, you need to find one with the correct base so that it fits snugly.  Any idea what kind of 'shoe' is fitted to your telescope?

I put "sucherfernrohr" into Google and got a huge number of hits for finderscopes for sale, in German.

They all seem to be more up-market versions than the red-dot gunsight on the Celestron 130 we have.

But they are out there :-)

I have noticed that optics sell for ludicrous prices in Germany,  approx 50% more than same thing in the UK - German Ebay sellers must wonder why they can't shift stuff over here in blighty.

Archived