Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kson 1.25" UHC filter

Well I bought it and it was delivered by Express post this morning.

I haven't had the chance to use it and won't be trying tonight as its NYE, but will report when I get the chance.

One thing that worried me while researching on this forum was someone said the thread was dodgy and that it hung precariously off the end of the EP. Well at least I can say that person must have had a dud as I've screwed it onto each of my current 8 EPs and it fits perfectly.

Hi Digger1895, I would be interested in the performance of the filter, as I have some Kson ep's (Ortho's), which do perform reasonably, so it will be interesting to see how the filter performs.  I am, though, well covered for filters in my collection.

Hi Robin,

I was able to use the filter quickly inbetween the cloud last night. As I say it was cloudy so I only had a chance to use it on the Orion Neb and am happy to say I was very impressed at its performance for $40 but please remember I have never used a UHC (or any type of) filter before.

It was around 9pm last night and the Moon was positioned close to Orion. The Moon washed out most of the nebula and without the filter the Neb appeared dim, washed out, with no impression of where it started or ended, just a faint cloud really. With the filter attached the nebulosity was more defined, seemed illuminated, and with the background sky darkened the contrast was great. The Stars were visibly dimmed but the Trapezium was still easily visible although they appeared to have a green tinge to them.

Hope this helps you or others that may be interested, to me it's 40 bucks very well spent.

Archived