Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Scope for planetary and DSO imaging

Hi

I currently have a 12" DOB which i am hoping to sell and want to move into imaging. What are the best scopes and lens for this? I have only ever had a DOB and have to constantly move it to keep objects in view which is obviously no good for imaging!

I am hoping to have around £500 to spend - i would love to hear your advice!

Thanks, Phil.

A bit like asking which car is best for off roading and short circuit racing :smiley:  In truth, no one telelescope in the £500 range probably does this. The recognised good combination is a HEQ5, a 80mm ED and a SCT to cover these bases. The mount would take care of your £500. 

Alas yes, for deep sky imaging the mount comes first. It must be an equatorial and a good one, ideally HEQ5 or better, but you can make a start with the HEQ3. At this budget I'd look for second hand. Optics are less important and you can start with camera lenses.

As Peter says, the requirements of DS and planetary imaging are diametrically opposed until you move into the big stuff and a budget of many thousands. At this point they can converge.

If the budget is tight planetary imaging is far cheaper than DS and does not need an equatorial. You can get away with an Alt Az, computerized, and a fast frame camera like a webcam.

Olly

Archived