Skywatcher heritage 100p

Last night was the first time I managed to have a clear (ish) night where I live - I'm so happy with this I had my laptop to the side of me with stellarium

and managed to go through a few constellations and had a really good view of the moon.

Anyway the reason for my post is just a thanks on all the post as to what to look for etc being a total beginner!!  :grin:

I am going out later to buy 'turn left at Orion' as I've read that could further my enjoyment/knowledge.....

Is there anything else you would recommend? The telescope came with a 10mm, Barlow lens and also a wide angle long eye relief lens - would

you recommend any other lens?

many thanks for reading and also for the help with your posts!  :smiley:

You'll love Turn Left@Orion a great introductory book to get you going.

I wouldn't be buying any eyepieces at this stage, wait until you've had some time under the stars which will give you more idea of what you need.

To enhance your enjoyment of the moon down load the free Virtual Moon Atlas so that you know what you're looking at.

You know where to come for any advice, you only need to ask on this forum and there are always plenty of experienced people to point you in the right direction.

Enjoy and keep warm.

Last night was the first time I managed to have a clear (ish) night where I live - I'm so happy with this I had my laptop to the side of me with stellarium

and managed to go through a few constellations and had a really good view of the moon.

Anyway the reason for my post is just a thanks on all the post as to what to look for etc being a total beginner!!  :grin:

I am going out later to buy 'turn left at Orion' as I've read that could further my enjoyment/knowledge.....

Is there anything else you would recommend? The telescope came with a 10mm, Barlow lens and also a wide angle long eye relief lens - would

you recommend any other lens?

many thanks for reading and also for the help with your posts!  :smiley:

Hi Karl83.

You have some great advise from the previous posts. I'd just like to add that a great deal of very worthwhile astronomy can be had with a 100mm telescope. Patience and enthusiasm will achieve much.

Good luck, Ed.

got one of these for my 9yo daughter for Christmas and we have seen some great stuff at lower mag (25mm with/without Barlow) but 10mm Eye Piece seems to be hopeless

We have Turn left at Orion and Cartes du Ciel (Stellarium wont install) which seems plenty in terms of info to find stuff. Gutted Saturn isnt visible at the moment

A strong tripod helps with flexibility but I reckon we will get a better 8 / 9mm eye piece with good eye relief for us glasses wearers in the house

FLO seem to recommend Celestron at £60

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-eyepieces/celestron-x-cel-lx-eyepiece.html

but I wonder if this might be better

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-8mm-BST-Explorer-Dual-ED-eyepiece-Branded-Starguider-/380962675706?refid=store

anyone found some good Eye Pieces for using with the 100P?

just a thought on books, we got a stack from the library and will maybe buy the ones we really use - they come with tough plastic covers too, which is useful

my daughter is an aspiring scientist and has a note book too - she keeps pinching my red led torch so I suspect that might be a worthwhile item for you

Archived