Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quark chromosphere in the Vixen

Stu

As I've just mentioned on Michael's thread, the Vixen was still setup this morning when the sun appeared between the houses so I decided to risk a few quick peeks at it with the wedge and Quark. I'm so glad I did!!

In white light the sun is not so busy, but the 150mm aperture still gave stunning views. Granulation was lovely and the areas of faculae were beautifully defined. I can't imagine what this would be like with the sun high up in the summer.

Switching to Ha in the Quark, I was having a few power problems but got sorted in the end. What a view! I didn't have long because the sun was just passing a gap between the houses so I mainly concentrated on the large and very beautiful prom which was at 4 or 5 o'clock ish if I remember correctly. The view was totally photographic, amazing detail, the best I've seen yet.

I did have to pick the whole rig up at one point to move it back into the sun. The scope alone is 14kg so it was a little hairy but accomplished without too much drama!

These are a couple of extremely bad images taken with my iPhone which vaguely give an impression, but only very vaguely. The actual view was very sharp with plenty of fine twisting detail.

e57179379b3d611f807483f097905057.jpg

b3f89f4e3e5cd5dce598b78fad8b4ee5.jpg

The large filament on the surface was also pretty spectacular. I am beginning to wonder if my Quark can be improved though. There is a definite 'strip' of narrower bandwidth performance down the image. The surface detail looks much better in this area but it is a little distracting. I will speak to my supplier and see what they say.

Last thoughts, I do now have a 75mm D-ERF and holder which I was going to use in my Genesis, but I now think I will focus efforts on getting this into either the Vixen or the 120ED. The views are worth it and I can get full disk in the FS-60C

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sun was great today Stu :smiley: I had a good few sessions, inbetween painting the kitchen, and they were very enjoyable with some great proms on display.

I am pleased the quark is giving photographic views, it is getting very tempting indeed to pull the trigger :laugh: As it is on the cusp of size do you think I will need an ERF with the 80mm Equinox ?

The sun was great today Stu :smiley: I had a good few sessions, inbetween painting the kitchen, and they were very enjoyable with some great proms on display.

I am pleased the quark is giving photographic views, it is getting very tempting indeed to pull the trigger :laugh: As it is on the cusp of size do you think I will need an ERF with the 80mm Equinox ?

No need for a D-ERF with the 80mm Shaun, I would just use a UV/IR cut filter on the front of the diagonal

Don't forget I had 150mm to play with! Bet the 120ED will be pretty good too but have yet to manage a decent session with it.

I always forget how low the sun is this time of year, barely gets above the houses :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived