Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best time to view saturn.

Hi everyone.

could anyone tell me when i could expect to be able to view Saturn in the UK as from what i see it always seems to be on the southern hemisphere in the upcoming months.

Im a complete beginner so any tips or advice would be great.

so far its been the obvious ones that are easily visible like the moon and Jupiter but im looking forward to having a look at Saturn too.

thanks

Bill

Well mid to late May 2015 is or will be the best next time.

Presently it is on the other side of the sun.

Easiest option is to get Stellarium, set it for where you are then with the line marked Ecliptic visible advance the month option a step at a time until Staurn makes an appearance.

May 2015 may be "the best " but guess it will be around sort of Feb/Mar onwards a bit.

Will go chack, could be totally wrong.

About right, it creeps above the Eastern Horizon late March, that would be around midnight and it gets higher over the night but looking for it at 3:00am is your decision.

Where you are it will be lower.

It never gets high however, the ecliptic remains low and so therefore does the path of the planets.

Basically for simplicity April 1st onwards and sort of midnightish.

Hello Bill

Saturn should be showing from about the middle of March next year at round 1.30 am in the morning. But it will be quite low in the south east until late March.

A happy new year.

Best regards, Hadyn - IOM

Thanks Hadyn.

Cant wait to see it!

Before reading your post i stumbled upon a post about the software stellarium which i've been messing around with.  Seems to confirm what you said and can answer all my further questions about best viewing times.

Thanks

Bill

Archived