Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need your knowledge Please

Tums

Hi All :)

I've just started AP in a very basic way. But so far I'm happy with the Moon pics I've taken, but obviously always looking to improve.

So I have a couple of questions;)

1, is there a way to put a moon filter somewhere in my AP setup.

I usually just attach my Canon1200d directly to a SW 0.85x Focal Reducer, then screw that straight onto the end of my focuser,in place of the diagonal etc.

what size filter would I need ? And where would it screw in.?

My 2nd query is,

Xmas Eve I went out,took a few Moon pics, and thought, right lets see if I can get a shot of 'Plaeides', pointed the scope in the right spot, perfectly in the centre of my Finder Scope , then it hit me, I've only got the little screen on the back of the camera, to check if I'm in focus, but I couldn't see anything in 'Live view' mode, even taking the zoom into 10x .

So how can I check if I'm 'in' focus, and what should the camera settings be??

I had the camera set on Manual, and 3200 ISO used a remote switch taking 30sec exp, but when I loaded them into my Laptop, I could only make out 3/4 ( white dots ). on the picture,

Any Help, gratefully recieved. :)

If you could find a variable-polarizer filter for the Moon - which comes as two lenses that are rotated to select the level of dimming desired - and screwed one into the inside-end of the diagonal, and the other into some other part of your optical-train - such as the focal-reducer - that could be rotated, you'd have it and could adjust it from 1% to 40% easily. Or just fidget them both together in the inside-end of the diagonal at the dimming you wish:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/search/for/Polarizing+filter/

Hope this helps.

Enjoy,

Dave

Hi All :)

I've just started AP in a very basic way. But so far I'm happy with the Moon pics I've taken, but obviously always looking to improve.

So I have a couple of questions;)

1, is there a way to put a moon filter somewhere in my AP setup.

I usually just attach my Canon1200d directly to a SW 0.85x Focal Reducer, then screw that straight onto the end of my focuser,in place of the diagonal etc.

what size filter would I need ? And where would it screw in.?

My 2nd query is,

Xmas Eve I went out,took a few Moon pics, and thought, right lets see if I can get a shot of 'Plaeides', pointed the scope in the right spot, perfectly in the centre of my Finder Scope , then it hit me, I've only got the little screen on the back of the camera, to check if I'm in focus, but I couldn't see anything in 'Live view' mode, even taking the zoom into 10x .

So how can I check if I'm 'in' focus, and what should the camera settings be??

I had the camera set on Manual, and 3200 ISO used a remote switch taking 30sec exp, but when I loaded them into my Laptop, I could only make out 3/4 ( white dots ). on the picture,

Any Help, gratefully recieved. :)

Your problem here is that the SW FF/FR ( I am assuming that you are using this one ) is being screwed to the end of the focuser tube of the ED 80. With this configuration the only way of mounting a filter is to use an ASTRONOMIK CLIP filter inside the camera. The other way is to purchase an adapter for the reducer with a 2" nosepiece and then slide this inside the focuser in which case you need 2" filters which in any case is going to be costly. A 2" Neodymium filter is about £85.00 mark and the adapter about £25.00 from FLO.http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/flo-adapter-for-skywatcher-focal-reducers.html, hope this helps.

A.G

Archived