NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR imaging - best tracking mount?

Stu

My brother would like to buy a simple tracking mount to take widefield images with his DSLR and has been looking at the iOptron Skytracker.

He has a very good tripod already and I think intends to use a 35mm prime lens but seems to have all top notch Canon kit....

So, I'm just looking for some opinions on the iOptron and whether it better than the others out there such as Vixen Polarie, Astrotrac or the SkyWatcher StarAdventurer.

Which would you buy?

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started out with the Astrotrac and its a great bit of kit. From what i have read the Astrotrac and SW Adventurer have the same pros - both can handle higher payloads and the ability to mount a scope if you ever wanted to. They also may be better for longer exposures as guiding is an option. 

I wouldnt bother with the Polarie but thats just my opinion. The iOptron is kind of the middle man of the mounts suggested and will preform excellently for use with lens, especially at 35mm it will be no problem.

If i had to choose right now i would go for the SW Adventurer as its new, getting good reviews, has the ability to guide, good payload and is not as expensive as an Astrotrac set up. But this decision is based on using longer focal length lens with long exposures imaging from home. Like i said if just using a 35mm then thats not an issue and i would go for the iOptron.

You may want to have a read of this: http://www.ioastronomy.co.uk/2013/07/astrotrac-vs-skytracker-vs-polarie/

Callum

Thanks very much Callum, very useful info.

He won't want to do auto guiding and I doubt will want to use longer focal length lenses so I suspect the iOptron may well be the best option.

Any particular reason why the Vixen doesn't appeal?

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any particular reason why the Vixen doesn't appeal?

Dont get me wrong, you can get some nice images with the Polarie but they all tend to be widefield, i dont ever remember seeing a great deep sky image taken with it that didnt have star trails which tells me that it may have a problem with larger/heavier lens/DSLRs. Infact in the few years i have been into this hobby i have not ran into that many people using it. It does have a very small payload compared to the other mounts mentioned i think. Not so much a problem if you are using a small lens but if you ever fancied having a go with a longer focal length then you may be out of luck.

Every time i see someone looking for a small portable mount the Polarie always falls to the bottom of the pile and this may be why!

Callum

Archived