Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spacing? Foucs? Orthogonality? PA?

Earl

The weak-point in your train is, of course, the pushfit reducer but it could also be the focuser. I would make absolutely certain that the pushfit junctions are smack on - when I use them (which I do have to even with my FT focuser), I press the two parts together with the clamps really loose to get a feel for when the mating surfaces are touching uniformly then I apply the locking clamps slowly, checking for zero movement of the mating surfaces.

Oh how I wish all manufacturers would have screw-fit components!!

If this is your ZS71 Earl then Steve will confirm I had massive issues with my ZS71 and the push fit reducer, Steve was kind enough to confirm it with CCD inspector once again ! There is a grub screw on the underside of the ZS71 that I replaced with a thumbscrew to provide three points of contact, without it the reducer would sag under the weight of the imaging train regardless of how careful I was with tightening up the other two. Eventually I managed to get the focuser sag and alignment sorted but jez you think vendors would work hard not have these issues and in fact I berated a WO rep at Astrofest last year about this. 

I was impressed with CCD inspector that I eventually bought it and it helped me confirm the tilt I had with the Tak reducer....but that's another story that a few of us have suffered from recently in other threads.

Archived