NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging scope advice

The ED80 will be as plug and play as you can get - It depends I suppose on how important that is to you. Rob takes stunning pics with his 130 pds, I think he's had to make some modifications to get to this point. 

If you are fine with tinkering, then the 130pds will hold no fear for you :)

I don't mind tinkering around, so being plug and play isn't much of a bonus for me.

Thanks for the comment.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go with the ED80 to start, then mod your DSLR, then get a better mount. From there you could move up to a bigger scope and then get a CCD camera. Right now I am looking at CCD cameras and how they match-up to different scopes, this is something you should learn as you do want to have a CCD that matches your scope. CCD Cameras are not cheap and buying the wrong one would cause all kinds of problems for people with "bottoms in their pockets".

But before doing anything you need to learn a lot more about equipment and technical issues. I have been on the learning curve for about a year surfing the net and purchasing some good books and I am sure that this work has saved me from wasting a lot of money.

I still don't have a real mount nor a real imaging camera but I will be changing that sooner than later and I feel confident that my purchases will be the correct ones.

Well that's all from me for now. I need to continue my research.

Miguel

ED80 is tediously slow for me (a DSLR user) - both mine are now relegated to guide scopes on top of fast Newts.....

If the Skywatcher 8" F4 is too big for your mount then the next size down is the GSO 6" F4 Imaging Newtonian

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4762_GSO-6--Imaging-Newton---150mm-Oeffnung-f-4---2--MONORAIL.html

It gives the same FOV as the 130pds but 0.6x the exposure time (or 0.2x the ED exposure time!!).

An F4 Newt will need a quality coma corrector such as the Baader MPCC III and a decent 2" laser collimator both of which are significant investments (on the plus side they can be used on any other Newts you have).

The compact GSO 150mm F4

_dsf8273_1024_zps0d851bd0.jpg

ED80 is tediously slow for me (a DSLR user) - both mine are now relegated to guide scopes on top of fast Newts.....

If the Skywatcher 8" F4 is too big for your mount then the next size down is the GSO 6" F4 Imaging Newtonian

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4762_GSO-6--Imaging-Newton---150mm-Oeffnung-f-4---2--MONORAIL.html

It gives the same FOV as the 130pds but 0.6x the exposure time (or 0.2x the ED exposure time!!).

An F4 Newt will need a quality coma corrector such as the Baader MPCC III and a decent 2" laser collimator both of which are significant investments (on the plus side they can be used on any other Newts you have).

The compact GSO 150mm F4

_dsf8273_1024_zps0d851bd0.jpg

How well do these work out the box LJ? I know you've done some mods to this scope but how much were they needed?

Do you still need to re-collimate periodically due the the fast f/4 and steel tube plus GSO primary mirror cell post mods?

Every so often I look at this little cute TS scope but then get lump in my throat  :eek:  

wouldn't the 130pds with skywatcher 0.9 CC f/4.5 be a safer bet at half the price? It would be almost as fast and easier to keep collimated perhaps?

How well do these work out the box LJ? I know you've done some mods to this scope but how much were they needed?

Do you still need to re-collimate periodically due the the fast f/4 and steel tube plus GSO primary mirror cell post mods?

Every so often I look at this little cute TS scope but then get lump in my throat  :eek:  

wouldn't the 130pds with skywatcher 0.9 CC f/4.5 be a safer bet at half the price? It would be almost as fast and easier to keep collimated perhaps?

Never used it out of the box- I immediately did the 'six spring mirror cell mod', flocked the scope and made a 1" thick custom long dovetail bar - as per my existing fast Newts. Previous experience with supplied mirror springs make this cheap mod a 'no brainer' as is flocking the tube while the mirror cell is off. 

Collimation- since I use this scope mainly at F2.9 it is necessary to check both collimation and focus several times during a nights imaging. The collimation check takes a few seconds but needs the camera to be removed (and thus re-focus checked anyway).

TS make a customised carbon tube version of this scope for people that don't want/can't be bothered to re-check focus during the night!

The 130PDS is a fine little scope, I'd probably have bought one if the GSO 6" F4 did not exist. The reason for getting the GSO 6" F4 was I could use my existing ASA 2KORRR 0.7x reducer to get F2.9 (used with a 130PDS this reducer/corrector would 'only' yield an F3.5 instrument).

Thanks for the info LJ :) The OP did say he didn't mind tinkering so its another option for him to consider if he wants an uber fast scope. Have they put the price up though?, I'm sure it used to be 299 Euros but now its listed as 350! :(

Its probably not for me as things stand now days. Now days I have to set up an imagine run, then go and sort out a load of screaming kids! I need scopes that are going to look after them selves :D

The CF version looks wonderful and reading down the page I think TS have even looked at the mirror cell issues. Still if I decide to fill the gap between 388mm and 1422mm focal length, I'll probably get a 130 or 150 pds purely because the are cheap and work out the box once collimated. 

I'm impressed you're working at f/2.9!! The only way I could beat that is if I Hyperstar my C8.

Well I have decided to go for the SW 130PDS for now its cheap enough that it could just be a 'throw away' scope and will keep me going until February or so and i can get a more expensive scope. I'll get a Baader MPCC III too soon enough. But for now my set up should do fine. The scope should come tomorrow and the 24th is looking to have clear skies in my area so ill hopefully be able to give it a whirl. I'll update on the results.

MiguelMJrI'm not currently looking to astromod my current DRLS as I use it for terrestrial photography and video. But I'm always on the look out for a reasonably priced astro-450d. Also, I already have a guide scope, so I wouldn't want to get a SW 80ED if it will end up as a guidescope. If all is well with the SW 130PDS then I will not bother getting another scope for now and work on getting a HEQ5 or NEQ6. then get the SW 8" f/4.

Good choice :) But if you do decide to throw it away then please throw it my way ;)

Hehe :)

Well I hope it will be a good, cheap investment that i'll want to cling on to. By the sounds of things and looking at the 130pds thread, I may very well be clinging to it.

Archived