NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

December 14, 2014: Superb proms on the eastern limb, one detached

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Just had a look at the sun with the little LS35, and boy, is there a lot of action. Quite a few sunspots, plage areas, and filaments adorn the disk, but the eastern limb takes centre stage at the moment. A series of proms is visible, from a very bright "hedgerow" of interlocking plumes in the south, to a smaller, but still bright one in the north. A detached plume of plasma sits in between, and thins line of plasma stretch from both ends towards the two big proms on either side, almost reaching the northern one. Very impressive. Pity I cannot really image them now, as I  would have to set up the kit across the road, and image over rooftops.

Well worth a look if the weather allows

Just had another look. The detached prom now has a thread linking it to the limb. Still an impressive branched structure. E few little kids came and asked me what I was doing, so I lowered the tripod to let them have a look.The eldest (6 or 7, I guess) said he also had a telescope, so I told him that he should not aim that at the sun EVER. He said he already knew that. All three left very pleased at seeing their first solar prominences

Battling to gain a view through the branches with almost no success regardless of where I went in the garden but even I could see there was a lot of activity on the eastern limb.

Glad you had a better view than me, Michael. Maybe somebody got a chance to capture an image ...?

Archived