NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Arduino control from graphical interface on PC

Gina

I'm sure I've seen examples in the past of graphical front ends used to control the functions of an Arduino for such things as remote focussing and opening/closing observatory roofs but now I can't seem to find the info.  I've posted in the Software forum but now realised that this is more relevent to DIY Astronomy as I think it was projects mentioned in this forum.

Any thoughts much appreciated :)

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you need, but I've done that interfacing using an Arduino Leonardo (these days I would use a Teensy 2.0), through the serial port. The Leonardo / Teensy uses the 32U4's built-in USB interface as an RS232 adapter so this is particularly straightforward, but you have the option of using the USB port as well. The Windows part of the whole thing was programmed in Delphi.

On the Leonardo side all I did was to create a loop (or was it an interrupt? I can't remember anymore :D ) that would check the RS232 "receive" buffer and act accordingly. The Windows GUI would simply send bytes to the serial port (and listen for the data being sent by the Leonardo). My program was essentially just a nice GUI to an Hyperterminal clone :)

Hopefuly this helps somewhat :)

I'm sure I've seen examples in the past of graphical front ends used to control the functions of an Arduino for such things as remote focussing and opening/closing observatory roofs but now I can't seem to find the info.  I've posted in the Software forum but now realised that this is more relevent to DIY Astronomy as I think it was projects mentioned in this forum.

Any thoughts much appreciated :)

Hi,

I would be interested in hearing some replies to this post also, as it is something I would like to get into with my Arduino

:) :)

SS

That was quick :D

Do you have any kind of feedback from the focusers? Encoders?

That's only the graphics - nothing does anything :D

I have a focus count for each focuser stored in the Arduino sketch which I plan to display in the window.  No encoders, but once the focus gears are engaged or the belts put on the focus position should be echoed by the stepper motors and hence the sketch.  I may save the focus counts in EEPROM so they are maintained while switched off.

Archived