Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

slight bino problem

a10ken

Hi folks, I have a slight problem with a pair of bins I recently bought from a site member (no names, as they were only cheapish) in that when I look through the right eyepiece only the star appears to be an small inverted capital "T" in shape. However the left eyepiece is perfectly sharp and appears as a single dot.

I have adjusted the prism back and forward but that makes no difference, this appears with either eye so it's not me. 

the bins are 7x52 Helios HD,s

terrestrial and lunar is ok, its only light from a point source that it happens with.

any suggestions (other than buy another pair!)

You have to pay a lot, or be very lucky to get a binocular that gives focused stars as dots either side, a star test is very critical. Binoculars are mainly produced for terrestrial purposes and 7x - 10x magnification is not enough to show star image defects. Most small binoculars have cemented objectives which can cause optical strains resulting in the type of distortion you describe.  :smiley:

Archived