Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finding my First Planet.

Steve55

Got back a little late 12.15am , but decided it's nice n clear take the oppertunity to have a  look around, i knew jupitor was getting up a bit higher by that time and being in town i needed it a little higher. Since i not calibrated the finder on my starblast 6i i thought just look for something that stands out in the genral area and hope for the best, 2nd one i looked at was Jupitor, no detail am afraid just a whitish ball so i did wonder , but along with it was it's Four moons , well i hope they where or am typing this for nothing :smiley: . I suppose i was a little disapointed i could not nail some sort of detail i was hoping for ,having read and seen what others accomplished with the same Size Scope, am sure thigs will improve as i learn. But still Fantastic to actually see it and  them with my own eyes instead of someone elses eyes/cam. Only my fourth time out with it so really very pleased overall.

Since I am observing from my kitchen (don't laugh) Jupiter is a couple of degrees to high for me to see but I was able to catch it no so long ago as I was outside in the countryside. I also have a 6" scope and I could see some details, so do not despair.

The full moon is also an issue right now.

Which occular magnification were you using ? Did you wait a bit to have it high in the sky ? Too close to the horizon can also be an issue.

Not laughing about the Kitchen i looked at the sun from the living room not wanting to be seen looking, little self conscious i reckon. But i had to wait till later for jupiter anyway it was well up by the time i got to looking for anything. Used a Sirius Plossi 25 and a 10 with a x2 Barlow not at the same time i might add  :smiley:  . Put the issue out in a different section got some answers , so will look at those.

Jupiter will be better, esp as it gets higher. Wait til Jan onward, you'll be pleased - it'll be smallish but pretty detailed...

But mainly just wanted to say 'hi!' as a fellow 6i owner! Not too many of us about in the uk it seems. Great little scope!

Not laughing about the Kitchen i looked at the sun from the living room not wanting to be seen looking, little self conscious i reckon. But i had to wait till later for jupiter anyway it was well up by the time i got to looking for anything. Used a Sirius Plossi 25 and a 10 with a x2 Barlow not at the same time i might add  :smiley:  . Put the issue out in a different section got some answers , so will look at those.

Yes I saw the other thread, good avices and I'm sure you'll find the solution with a little tweaking.

Archived