Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Carbon Fibre Tubes - Home Layup Anyone?

SnakeyJ

For my next project, I've been considering laying up some carbon fibre tubes for my newts.    I think I can make up the mandrels easilly with some formica or aluminium sheet, formed around three of four thin ply disks - this will allow is to be collapsed and removed when the tubes are cured.      I quite like the idea of a spun wound layup, using a wood turning lathe - this would allow me to build up the thickness to provide additional strength for the focuser and at the ends for the mirror cell and spider.       That said, I'm struggling to find a supplier for reasonably priced aramid yarn in UK and with a circumference of just under 90cm, I'm going to need kilometers of the stuff!

Otherwise, I could lay up in 300g cloth or prepreg cloth, allowing for a dual layer so that the seams can be off set.   This looks cheaper and easier to source at around £ 25/sqm including resins.  I've found quite a sensible looking guide at http://library.propdesigner.co.uk/tubes.pdf 

I've worked with fibre glass in the past, but otherwise no previous experience.    Has anyone here been down this road and have any tips to share?

Worst case, I could make the mandrels and drop them in to a couple of local marine composite manufacturers - but where's the fun in that ;)

Archived