Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meteor composite image production?

michaelmorris

I have two Watec 902 video cameras recording meteors every night.  I've been experimenting with making meteor trail composites from the peak hold  .jpgs produced the UFO Capture software I use. That is, a composite image made up of all the meteors trails recorded on a night or month. So far I've found two similar ways do doing this basic composite production.

1 - Photoshop. Import each jpg as a separate layer and set the blending mode to lighten.
2 - Use star trail production software such a Startrails ( www.startrails.de) to do exactly the same as 1, but much more quickly (and it's free).

This produces a pretty end result, but because the sky rotates between images, it doesn't tell a story. Ideally I want the software to read the alignment automatically align the stars in the image so that shower radiants become obvious.
So far I've only found two ways of doing this.

1 - there appears to be a tool called 'Panorama' in 'Metrec' software that does this, but as I can't use Metrec (you need a specific discontinued model of Matrox  video card) this option is closed to me.
2 - manually align each image in Photoshop ( http://www.davidkingham.com/blog/2013/4 ... ower-image) . With 99 meteors recorded on one night alone (Perseid peak) this is a non-starter.

Does anyone know of any other software/ methods for producing a star aligned meteor composite?

Thanks

With dithering turned off I would have thought DSS would keep the trails in the final image. It certainly does a good job of keeping them when I don't want them!

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Archived