Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LX90 ACF advice please

I have been scopeless for a couple of years due to various circumstances, but the pull of the night sky is winning again.

Years ago, I had a Meade LX90 UHTC, non GPS. I sold it. Worst thing I ever did!

I have had a few different scopes afterwards, Meade ( LX200 10") Celestron (CPC 925) and a few Skywatchers, but nothing seemed to have the magic of that LX90. 

So, I thought about getting another one, actually, I plan to get something next week.

My thoughts are, another 8" SCT, maybe another LX90, the latest has GPS and ACF. I don't really do much AP, so, is it worth getting the ACF version? Will I notice any significant difference over the non ACF version ( apart from a few pounds in my pocket)

My other choice was a Celestron CPC 800. I liked my 925 version but it was just too heavy to lug around and I lost interest in it. The 8" would be ideal size and weight wise.

We have also moved to a very dark rural area in Kent and also have a house in Brittany in a village where all the street lights go out at 10pm and everybody has shutters drawn. Its pitch black. These are the main 2 reasons my interest in scopes has been rekindled.

Any thoughts re the ACF or CPC 800?

Or any other ( similar priced) alternatives?

Allan

Well I have the 8"  Celestron Edge on the AVX mount and have not been disappointed.  In fairness I have not owned any other decent scopes so can't compare, but my friends at my astro club seem very impressed whenever they get a chance to look through it.  

Good luck and enjoy whatever you get!  (I love Brittany and have stayed there many times - I bet it's fabulous for dark skies)

I have 2 12" LX-type of SCT's from Meade. My LX200GPS I've loaned to a friend who was pulling his hair out as he yearned for something larger that his 4.25" F/5 Newtonian reflector, while juggling paying for a house and several kids on a teacher's salary. I plan to let him buy it from over time and as he can afford. He's ecstatic! :laugh:

I would counsel you to look at the LX90 ACF (which comes with GPS-location these days). In my opinion - and others may disagree - Meade pulled-off a major coup with the ACF. It makes the LX-series act similar to a Ritchey-Chretien telescope, which, due to their flat-fields and sharpness to the edge, lend themselves very well to AP-applications. And I find it also to be visually rewarding too. But, like the GPS-updating around 2002, will soon become a standard part of their line - as they cook-up another new trick. Meade's optics are quite remarkable. As are Celestron. While their human-interfaces, such as focusing and declination-clutches, remain quite poor (but can be easily upgraded with available after-market kits), despite having had years to fix these bones-of-contention. Celestron, too, has their problems of a similar nature.

So I believe the LX90 ACF is an excellent scope - whether 8" or larger. Many would suggest the LX200-series if there is a chance you may decide, down the road, to pursue astrophotography. As well as adding a wedge to create a equatorial-mount, the LX90 will be just fine for video-astrophotography. Which is where I have gone, and is likely to become the future of amateur-astronomy as people come to see the allure of full-colour images like the Hubble space-telescope has introduced countless millions of people to what's up there.

I hope this helps you.

Clear Skies & Welcome Back,

Dave

Thanks both, Billy, it's very dark here, it's what got me interested again. I've had a look at the Edge, looks impressive but I don't know if I want a Gem mount again

Do we still get discount if ordering from Flo?

Allan

I don't know that you'd find much advantage, visually, in the ACF version and if I wanted to use this scope for deep sky AP (at which the ACF is under-rated) I'd want it on a decent GEM.  For visual, though, I love the fork or arm mounts. These days, in deciding between Meade and Celestron, I'd probably go for Celestron. (I do still have a 10 inch Meade classic but it's no good for deep sky AP and I find the long focal length very constraining in visual use. However, it does what it does pretty well.) From memory aren't the Celestrons lighter? 

Olly

For my video work, I have a battery of focal-reducers to choose from. The days of using the "standard" FR out there - the Meade or Celestron-branded 6.3 FR, and one occasionally would see the 3.3 version of the same, are blissfully gone. There are now quite a few excellent new varieties to play with. So turning my F/10 LX90 into a seamless F/4, or even F/3.2, is an easy task. So a F/10 SCT is a very versatile animal now. If I were planning on doing AP - but in the more 'traditional' sense rather than video - I'd likely dispense with an SCT, and look towards good refractors on a high-end GEM. Or an overgrown Dobsonian on something like a Paramount from Bisque in Colorado - adapted and re-engineered to my own specs.

As for visual use and ACF-optics, try looking through one. Look at the edges of the F.O.V. and you'll be able to discern the lack of 'seagulls' out there. Vignetting is gone for all intents & purposes. While Celestron's optics are truly impressive, I stand by my assertion that the ACF was, and remains, a major coup on Meade's part. I had been pining-away for a Ritchey-Chretien telescope - but no more. The ACF is well enough as is, and I'm no longer thinking of selling my house to get a R-C. :eek::grin:

It would be great if Meade and Celestron would undergo some sort of peaceful merger, and take everything great and better from both outfits and create a hybrid of the best of both. And continue in that fashion as a technological-partnership where the customer is the true winner.

Not Holding My Breath.....

Dave

Thanks both, Billy, it's very dark here, it's what got me interested again. I've had a look at the Edge, looks impressive but I don't know if I want a Gem mount again

Do we still get discount if ordering from Flo?

Allan

Not sure about FLO Allen as I bought mine from the excellent Opticstar in Manchester.  Was shocked to discover soon afterwards they had become the Meade dealers and have been forced to give up Celestron.   I ahppen to know they have a couple of Celestron 8" SCTs for sale at reasonable prices if you're quick!

Well, I suppose you have noticed by now that clouds have rolled in, its raining on and off and high winds are blowing everywhere.

That can only mean one thing. I bought myself a new telescope!

I did a lot of reading, thinking and picking brains ( thanks for all the input) and finally went for an LX90 8" ACF. I always thought my old LX90 was one of the best scopes I had ever had, nothing really seemed to measure up, or rather, I was disappointed in everything else after selling that one. Not even my Celestron CPC925 had the magic my old Meade had.

Anyway, after spending an hour or so at Telescopehouse, and picking their brains, the choice was down to the LX200 ACF or LX90ACF, and the fact that the LX90 was quite a lot cheaper than anywhere else, made the decision relatively easy,  and I had money to spare to get a nice 2" diagonal and a couple of decent eyepieces. AN Orion Optiluxe 32mm 2" and a Meade Series 5000 HD-60 9mm.

I already have my eye ( no pun intended)  on a few more eyepieces that I am going to order tonight.

So, scope is all set up in the living room, its still cloudy and windy outside, might as well give the credit card another caning........

Allan

Skies cleared long enough for me to get the scope outside cooling for a couple of hours and a quick collimating check showed it was still perfect from the factory, not surprised really, have you seen the boxes and packing these things come in?

Anyway, after setting up the scope( I had to enter date location and time, thought the GPS was supposed to do this for me) first attempt at easy align was a disaster. Did a reset and went through a much more detailed setup this time, and easy align worked perfectly.

First thing I looked at was one of my favourites, M42 and the clouds started building up. Great view though with a 32mm, lots of detail.

Then looked at Andromeda and a few more before the cloud cover was too heavy.

Dave, your right about the ACF optics, sharp as a pin to the edges.

I think I am going to like this LX 90 already.

The Audiostar commentary was fun, not sure I could stand it all the time though, I'm sure my Neice will enjoy it though when the family come at Christmas.

Allan

Billy, I did mention that to Mrs A but just got one of those funny looks!

It does seem to have a problem with the GPS though, it doesn't seem to be working. Phone call made to the dealer, just awaiting a reply.

On a good note though, the tree that was blocking my view of the moon rising on Wednesday blew down in the wind last night, so I get to play with my chainsaw this afternoon!

Billy, I did mention that to Mrs A but just got one of those funny looks!

It does seem to have a problem with the GPS though, it doesn't seem to be working. Phone call made to the dealer, just awaiting a reply.

On a good note though, the tree that was blocking my view of the moon rising on Wednesday blew down in the wind last night, so I get to play with my chainsaw this afternoon!

Now that is what I call divine intervention Allen ....or did the chainsaw come out earlier than you're saying? :eek:

Archived