Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher Lunar/Planetary Filter Set

I'm about to purchase the Skywatcher 130P EQ2 for OH for Xmas and have found a place that offers the Lunar/Planetary Filter Set half price with this purchase.  Usually £30.  Its his birthday in Jan so I am thinking I could give him some astronomy extra's then.... 

Are they worth having/buying?

Hi Saffstar, to be honest it would be better to leave them, colour filters hardly ever get used for night time astronomy, the Moon filter will also probably be a cheap one, only a few astronomers use them (myself included).  No, there are better astronomy gifts out there, such as the book 'Turn Left At Orion' - a very good guide on how to find deep sky objects (DSO's) in the night sky.

Hi Saff, no harm in giving them a try, to some they make a difference, to others not so good.  I use mine in daytime solar white light viewing* where I think the colour helps enhance.  The Sky Watcher ones are quite good quality if I remember.  I have now replaced these with Lumicon from the US.  Good luck with your purchase.

EDIT: *With the appropriate full aperture solar filter at the front of the scope.

Hi Saffstar. As Robin says not many people use filters although some do and I am one of the ones that do. If the set you got has a yellow filter I find this very useful on the moon. It is also useful for Jupiter as is the Blue. I do have others but those are the two I use most.

HTH 

Steve

Archived